The City of Philadelphia Department of Commerce is looking for a person to serve as the Manager, Entrepreneurial Investments. Best of all, this role supports Startup PHL. Deadline to apply is 5:00 PM, Monday, October 27th
The Manager for Entrepreneurial Investment serves as the City’s point person for promoting Philadelphia as a hub for technology companies helping start-up business owners understand the benefits of locating in Philadelphia. This position works with oversight from the Senior Director, Business Attraction & Retention and the Senior Deputy Director of Commerce. The ideal candidate will understand Philadelphia’s existing startup ecosystem as well as have experience working with or as an entrepreneur.
The Manager for Entrepreneurial Investment is responsible for a portfolio of specific projects including:
- Manage a pipeline of new entrepreneurial business attraction/retention leads, focusing on startups and technology-based commercial clients; document progress in Project Management database.
- Work closely with key staff to continue implementation of Startup PHL, an initiative between the City of Philadelphia and PIDC to promote Philadelphia as a tech and start-up hub.
- Work closely with government officials and economic development partners at local/state/federal levels to secure resources/information appropriate to each business client.
- Represent the Department of Commerce at various trade shows, speaking engagements, special events and other opportunities, as assigned.
- Maintain working knowledge of industry trends, targeted business assistance opportunities and financing/incentive programs appropriate to business sectors served.
Typical Examples of Work:
- Research prospects to determine suitable opportunities for the Philadelphia market.
- Meet with clients to review ideas and concepts for business development.
- Lead calls and appointment setting.
- Monitor projects and assist in resolving government-generated client challenges.
- Assist the Senior Director, Business Attraction & Retention and the Senior Deputy Director of Commerce in the execution of their responsibilities through project oversight and management
- Draft talking points, statements and other written work product as needed.
Desired Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills; diplomacy and ability to facilitate problem resolution; Microsoft Office proficiency; experience in statistical and economic analysis. Graduate Degree preferred /or 5+ experience in public sector economic development or business development.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume and 2-page writing sample to Clarice Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, Monday October 27, 2014.