As 2016 comes to an end, we wanted to take a minute to reflect on the past year and highlight our favorite moments .
- SXSW/SXSW Eco: We were excited to take part in SXSW as a community this year, and it was an honor when StartupPHL was invited back for Eco in October to speak about Smart Cities. We look forward to returning to Austin in 2017 — this time with Mayor Kenney, who will be attending SXSW as part of a US Conference of Mayors delegation!
- Mayor Kenney’s Op-Ed: This fall, Mayor Kenney shared his thoughts on the influential role of tech, entrepreneurship and startups in solidifying Philadelphia as an innovation city.
- Post a Pilot: A new project launched earlier this year as part of StartupPHL’s site relaunch, Post a Pilot aims to connect startups with anchor institutions in the City. The idea behind the program is that more than capital, what a startup really needs is customers! We are happy to report Post a Pilot was a success for our first anchor institution — PGW. Stay tuned for more developments from this program in 2017.
- U.S. Chamber Ranking: Philly came in 8th with our first appearance in this ranking (produced by 1776 and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce) of cities and their readiness to take advantage of the digital economy. We ranked in the Top 10, ahead of D.C. and New York City. Many more accolades ahead in 2017 for our beloved city!
- The General Fabulousness of Our Community: The folks here at StartupPHL are consistently impressed with the tenacity, dedication, diversity and commitment of the tech community in Philadelphia. None of the highlights mentioned above would be possible without the amazing people we get to work with daily. It is a privilege to rep our community throughout the country and world. We are humbled to serve you and call you our friends. We love you Philly tech, and we look forward to another year of championing your successes! Thanks for all you do!